DAY 3: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

I actually have played Oblivion before. It's one of the ones that's on here not because I've never played it, but because I played all of an hour the first time before I left, and I think half of that was trying to create a character that wasn't entirely hideous.

I guess I must've given up on that eventually. 

I have almost 300 hours in Skyrim. I'm a big fan of games where you can just kind of sod off to one side of the map and do literally anything but your task. I love chasing a deer and then suddenly you're very, very lost. One of the main ways I stayed sane early 2020 was by exploring Skyrim.

This game is baffling to me.

Look, it's from 2006. I understand. It shows. I'm not giving up on the game yet, especially because I know it's popular, but there's a few things that are getting to me with this one.

First thing: the brutally bad graphics. Okay, I'll admit - the enviorment is nice. The resolution isn't even THAT bad once I turned it up to max. But the people. The PEOPLE. Why do they look like that? Who hurt them? Why does every NPC look at you with their eyes flicking to the side like someone off-screen has a gun to their head?

The controls on PC are...unintuitive. I swear I accidentally open the options menu every 30 seconds. The key bindings section does not work. I have no idea if there's a map, a journal, anything. It's not told me, and I can't exactly view the keybinds because the issue with it is that I literally cannot scroll. Maybe I should try plugging in my controller next time, there's a wild concept.

The graphics for the enviorment actually kind of remind me of early Star Stable Online, which I played when I was a lot younger. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I saw some really pretty flowers as I walked around (before I got tired of walking and stole a horse)

Oh also my game crashed. That's a thing that happened. I'm running this with no mods on a laptop that can handle pretty much everything I throw at it, and it pretty much just keeled over and died on me. Yaaay, technology!

GRAPHICS: The characters are attrocious. They're just...I'm sorry, I really do care about character creation. It's just a little bit immersion breaking if my player character looks like something went very, truly wrong at the point of their birth. The enviorment is nice though. The horse I stole was pretty.

CHARACTERS: I've met like 3 dudes and two of them are dead. I can't really speak for characters, except that they are not good graphically.

WILL I PLAY MORE?: ...Yeah, probably.

RATING THUS FAR: Maybe like a 3/5, provided I can stop opening the wrong menu every 3 seconds.



Comments